Monday, February 3, 2014

Washington State Fair Delivers Scones to Olympia

Excerpt from Rep. Hans Zeiger's Newsletter (posted January 31, 2014)


Last week I learned that House Bill 2622 had been introduced by Rep. Norm Johnson, R-Yakima, to declare Yakima’s Central Washington State Fair the “official state fair.” Of course, that’s a problem for the real Washington State Fair in Puyallup! I quickly let Rep. Johnson know my feelings on his bill (see the photo below of Rep. Johnson and I, fists up, with Central Washington Fair President and General Manager Greg Stewart looking on). I also spoke with the chairman of the committee to which the bill was assigned and urged him not to hear it.

Nevertheless, the committee heard the bill on Wednesday. In advance of the hearing, I arranged to have Fisher Fair Scones delivered to the Capitol. Puyallup Sumner Chamber of Commerce Director Shelly Schlumpf, Chamber board member Charla Neuman, my legislative assistant Sarah Pollock, and I delivered the scones to committee members’ offices Wednesday morning. Once word got around the Capitol that we had scones, it was clear demand exceeded supply. 

Perhaps in view of the fact that there are more pressing matters before the Legislature, the bill appears to be dead. But we remain vigilant. We are prepared to stand valiantly in defense of the real Washington State Fair.



No comments:

Post a Comment