Friday, July 5, 2013

Heck of a Good Time on the 4th

Though I am partial to the fireworks display at the Old Cannery Bridge Lighting Ceremony that kicks off the holiday season in Sumner, I have to admit to a grand ole time in Tumwater on the 4th of July this year.  I started my day by picking up a spiffy 2013 jet black Camaro RS convertible at Sunset Chevrolet because I was asked to chauffeur Congressman Denny Heck and his wife, Paula, through the Tumwater 4th of July Parade.  To my surprise, I also got to step out and give Col. Ken Kamper, 17 Fires Brigade Commander and Parade Grand Marshal, a big hug.  Col. Kamper is transferring to another command later this month and I know lots of us here in the Pacific Northwest are going to miss him.  Then I hopped back into the car with Congressman Heck and his wife and followed Col. Kamper through the mile and a half long parade route.  I believe I heard the phrase "Give 'em Heck" several hundred times from local bystanders who support and appreciate the congressman's work representing the 10th District.  It was a true pleasure to participate in the parade and attend the fireworks show at the golf course later in the evening.   Many thanks to Sunset Chevrolet for letting me borrow a super hot car for the day and to Tumwater City Administrator and friend, John Doan, for the invitation to their holiday festivities.  I had a Heck of a good time.

Photo courtesy of the the Olympian

No comments:

Post a Comment