Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Anthem Barista-Off Draws Evening Visitors To Downtown

We love local coffee shops here at the Chamber.  There are a lot of meetings and a lot of business done over a good cup of joe.  While at Anthem Coffee & Tea last Thursday morning for our weekly Wake Up! meeting I noticed this poster for TNTNW, or Thursday Night Throwdown Northwest.  New to me, I learned from Anthem owner, Bryan Reynolds, that at 7pm that evening Anthem would be the location for a regional "Barista-Off" to determine who makes the best cup of espresso.  Plus, Chamber member, David Morris, of Dillanos Coffee Roasters, would be one of the judges.  

It was a good thing I arrived a half hour early so I could find a seat to take photos and order dinner.  Because at 7pm, there were over 100 people in the coffee shop, and I only knew four of them. I have never been to Anthem that I didn't recognize over 60% of the people there. It was five and six deep at the espresso counter as the contest began so I watched the overhead video of the contest on two big screens in the coffee shop.  

When I left at 8:30, the contest was in full swing, it was dark out and the doors were open to the sidewalks to let in fresh air.  Kudos to Bryan and Janie Reynolds for creating a community business that provides evening service, welcomes visitors from outside our community, and provides fun entertainment after hours.  This Chamber lady smiled all the way back to her car thinking about how downtown business owners make Puyallup a great place to live, work and play.






No comments:

Post a Comment